Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How early could parents start using the “time-out” discipline method on a toddler?

At what age should I start?





Some call it the “Naughty chair” method





Are there any other methods that I should know?How early could parents start using the “time-out” discipline method on a toddler?
I'd say around 2. You'll notice when you should start by their behavior. Around 2, you'll see an increase in outright disobedience, tantrums, they'll even start telling you ';NO!';. When they're pitching toys and stuff, it's time to start. Younger than that, you need to just take stuff away and send them to do something else; most won't really understand why you're making them sit there although a few will. Basically, if they're old enough to cut up for the sake of cutting up and knowing the whole time that they're cutting up, start doing time out.How early could parents start using the “time-out” discipline method on a toddler?
Remember that it has to be age appropriate. 1 minute for every year. Their attention span won't conceive anything else. The sooner you start showing that there is a consequence for unacceptable behavior the sooner you will be able to have a well behaved child. Let the child know what they are doing wrong, give them a chance to change the behavior, warn them that it must stop or you will put them in ';time out'; and then if they don't, you must follow through. This is as much about your willingness to stop whatever your doing to correct the child as it is about the child being willing to sit in the chair. Be strong, be patient and be consistent.
Once they start misbehaving, you should start. You should also use the Green Yellow Red, method. When a child does something bad, give them a Green Light. Next time they misbehave, Yellow Light. Third time, Red light and in the ';Corner'; for 5 minutes. Put a little timer next to the chair so you'll know when to let them out. Tell them, ';When the bell rings, you may leave'; Sometimes they'll stay, sometimes they won't. If they leave, before the timer is done, another 2 minutes.
Watch super Nanny.





They show a method where you put the child in as minutes = to their age, like if the child is 2 they'll get 2 minutes, but if they leave you calmly walk them back to the area and start the time over, every time they leave, sooner or later they will get the picture and sit there. After coming out they are to apologize for what they did to be put into time out.
I use time out with my toddler, It's the only thing that works sometimes. I started when he was around a year and a half. If he's doing something he's not suppose to, like climbing on the coffee table, I tell him to stop and few times and if he still won't I say ';If you don't stop climbing on the table you're going in time out'; then if I see him start again I say ';Do you want to go in time out?'; And if he still persists I sit him in a chair and say ';You're in time out now, stay here'; then he screams, and usually he sits there for only a couple seconds before he comes running after me. It actually works really well, I only had to put him in time out a few times and now just when I ask if he wants to go in time out he stops right away.
When my son was about 14 months and could walk and understand ';NO'; and ';SIT DOWN';, then I knew he was ready. My son is 2 1/2 now and time out is not working so, he gets sent to his room. It honestly depends on how consistent you are. Time out is a hard method, but it does work. It takes a couple of tries but you have to be consistent. If he gets up put him back and start all over. Visualization is the best. Get just a cheap egg timer and pick the same spot every time. I carried the timer with me too and it did not matter where we were, he got time out and still does. As much as I was spanked as a kid and as much as I wish I could have just been able to spank, I feel my son is too young, and I would rather get stared at for using a timer in public for discipling my child then to spank him and have people stare and make comments. All I say is ';Ethan, mommy told you to keep your hands to yourself, and I told you if you hit your going in timeout. Go to time out';. Thats all I have to say and he pouts and whines but he goes and sits. I use to have to carry him kicking and screaming. But now all I have to say is ';Go to your room and sit on your bed and do not get up until I say so';. He cries like he is getting spanked but he goes and sits. I go and talk to him and he has to ';fix'; what he did to get him in timeout. (Apologize, pick up what he messed up, wash the crayon off the wall), it did not happen over night, but I stayed with it and followed through. Those are the key points.
If you want to go that method raise your voice and make sure they know they are wrong. I'm sorry but toddlers loose interesting if you talk them to death. You'll see a blank stare or them not looking at you if you use big words. Then pick a spot away from what the problem is and make them sit until you think they have calmed down. The whole minute per year is bunk. It really depends on how upset the child is and how long it takes them to calm down.
I started with time out on my twins when they were able to really understand the word No.





If you do start only put them there for a few min. That seems forever to a child. Before taking them out of time out make sure to tell them what they have done wrong or they wont get it.


Then I always give them a hug and kiss tell them you love them and let them be on there way.





Good luck
I started with my daughter when she was a year and a half. Most experts say not until two. We do a warning and then punishment. Like if she hits me I tell her please don't hit mommy that hurts. If you hit again you will go in a time out. If she hits me again. I tell her Leandra that hurts mommy. Time out now. She gets a 2 min time out.
I started it with my kids at 1. They were old enough to understand at that point. You only do time out according to age though, so at 1 they had to sit for 1 minute. My daughter is 3 now and sits 3 minutes.
As soon as they understand what is going on.


I started with my twins at 18 months.


I started at 1 with my son, as he saw it happen to his older sisters and he understood.
I use the 1-2-3 method!!


if my son does something and I tell him that if he doesn't stop or whatever and I count to three he goes in time out
  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment