Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do I convince my parents to let me start Kickboxing?

I'm a 16 yr old girl who really wants to start kickboxing. I feel as though I'll really love doing it. I have found multiple gyms where they have classes. But there's one problem, my dad is not for it at all. My mom will go with whatever my dad says. He's afraid I'll get hurt. How do I convince him to let me start kickboxing?How do I convince my parents to let me start Kickboxing?
The best way you can approach this is have a talk with your mother and have her convince your dad that this went through her first. My kid has me do this all the time with his mother -- I wanted to start him on motocross and she didn't want him to.





Go through your mom and take a couple trial classes (any kickboxing gym will do this). As a parent, I think I would feel better if my kid took me down to the gym and spoke directly with the instructor. Tell the instructor that your dad feels uncomfortable with the whole thing before you take him down there. You need to also tell your dad that this is a great thing to have under your belt as self-defense for college in case you are ever attacked by freaks.





If you have a great instructor, he can show your dad that it is safe contact and usually not one on one but with the training dummies. He may be used to seeing the horrid stuff on TV.





Sell it as a self-defense class.How do I convince my parents to let me start Kickboxing?
I'm not going to sugarcoat the truth for you: You ARE going to get hurt. Everybody does when they get into a sport like Kickboxing. But any injuries you sustain will be minor. If you get hurt, you'll take some time off of your training to heal up and then go back. A sprain or a bruise will most likey be the type of injury you recieve, and not likely on your face because of protective gear covering so much of you (gloves, head protector, mouth guard, shin/foot pads, groin protector). In the long run, you'll be just fine, you'll get into great shape, and you'll have one of the best self defense systems a young woman can have to protect herself against men. You should just keep on letting your dad know how much you want to do it so that he knows that you're serious about it, and sooner or later he'll cave in. Then when you're about a year into kickboxing, if you like it, move on to some Judo or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!
Make him go with you to a few of the classes, be a spectator with him. Make him watch a class with you. Show him how it's not that bad, how it's under control. And most of all, explain WHY you want to do it.





The least he could do is at least see what it's about and what you want to get into. As well as why.
Tell your dad that his sweet little 16 year old girl wants to not be a victim when she leaves his house at 18 to go to college or just move elsewhere. The two years of lessons you start today will help you take care of yourself if you get into a bad situation.
Tell him you want to learn to protect yourself.


Your safty is his main concert, if you make it seem like these classes will protect you, rather than put you in danger, he'll let you go.
tell him that you love doing it and that you need to learn self defence!
  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment