Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can I keep my parents and brother from stealing my inheritance?

hope my grandfather lives more years. However, my parents are greedy as sin. My grandfathers house means a lot to me because so many good memories. The will is that when he passes, the house goes to me, my brother and father. Does that mean that no one can sell unless all three of us agree to do so. What happens if they want to sell but I don't or my brother wants it for him and his girlfriend? I've emigrated to England but I'm afraid they may try and sneak something on and go behind my back.How can I keep my parents and brother from stealing my inheritance?
Talk to a lawyer, but if its in the will, they probably cant sell without


your signature, if they forged it, they would be legally liable, its fraud,


do you really have that bad a relationship with them, that you would


think that they would do that? Is the house worth that much.


How old is the house?, maybe all three of you need to get together


and set up like a contract on whats expected from the house funds


if everybodies going to be fighting over it, I would sell it inmediately


and get your part of it, dont you think so? You dont want to be


feuding for years over a house, specially if you live somewhere else,


by experience I can tell you, I moved from another country to US and


left my precious home that hubby %26amp; I built from scratch, our blood and


sweat went into the home, but its only material things, the thing I


missed the most was family, so we live here now, we sold the home


2 yrs ago and bought another one here, so with your proceeds your


can do something buy a condo and be happy thats what your


grandpa wants for you, fighting? that doesnt sound good, specially


if hes not even gone yet.How can I keep my parents and brother from stealing my inheritance?
I'm in a situation a bit like that. We own a huge house in Europe which my grandfather owns, and both me and my mother have rights to it. The thing is though, if he dies my mom gets it, and then I get it. I suggest you talk with your family and a lawyer. Discuss it with them, and tell your dad how you feel about the house.
You don't say your age but you should talk to a lawyer on Monday and find out your rights. They shouldn't be able to just take the house but if they are greedy, they may find a way. Get some legal advice soon.
it sounds like you need someone who understands the law to get involved .money can make even your family turn ugly
Ouch. Usually your parents then oldest siblings get it


Go talk to a lawyer
what a horrible question :( I couldnt even think like that
I believe that all owners have to agree. Each owner can also sell the part that belongs to them. For example they can sell the part of the land that belongs to them. The problem is will anybody buy. If all you own is a room then noone in the right mind will buy just a room. Is stupid and crazy plus you will have to ask permision to the opwner of the front door just to get to that room or else you are trasspassing. There is also an age issue. Also, when you buy propertie there is usually a part that checks who owns the property and the legalities of it like for example if there is a lean against the house. This is makes sense because it would be unfair for my neigbor to sell my house to someone I don't even know and make a profit out of that. You cannot sell what is not yours.





Bottom line is have things in writting. Opinions and words mean squat without documentation. So, make sure to have a document that specifically say what part belongs to you. You may have to get a lawyer involve. You wouldn't believe to the extend that people will go for money. I heard a story where part of my family was trying to screw my dad out of his inheritance. My mom being the wise woman that she is said no way. The day the went for the repartition she and my dad showed up and ask to see the paper which clearly stated the portion that belong to my dad. Had my dad not showned up they could had made it so that the paper said nothing was left for him. I mean is harder to do than you think but, with the right connections it can be done. Especially if the documentation is vague. Anyways, this is why the law exist. get everything in writting and secure the signatures.





The easiest way out of this mess is to go talk to your grandpa. Have him sign a will and get it notarized. That will end all arguments period. If he doesn't have a clear legal will on who gets what and when then all hjell will break loose. Once this is done if anybody wants the whole property then they have to buy out the other owners. At that point you can get the property appraised so you can get somewhat of a fair value. Anyways, the bak will ask you this because they are not going to give you 100,000 for a property that is worth 20,000. Get a will and get it sign. It will save ytou a lot of head aches.

No comments:

Post a Comment