Friday, November 25, 2011

How do I tell my parents something that will make them incredibly disappointed in me?

I've been practicing my tennis all year so I can make the school team this year. My parents paid a lot for private lessons and equipment and even clothes and stuff, and I've honestly tried my hardest and given it my all. However, we're about to make cuts and I'm almost positive I'm going to get cut. I simply play very poorly under pressure and haven't won enough games to stay on the team. How can I break it to my parents after they've done so much?How do I tell my parents something that will make them incredibly disappointed in me?
They've done their best to help you out and you've given it your best shot. They might be disappointed but you have to live your own life. Parents can only give their children the opportunities and hope that they help, so maybe if you tell them that you really appreciate everything they've done but you're just not suited to competition playing. Maybe you could convince them to come out and have a friendly game with you so that they can see all their hard work hasn't been wasted as you still sound like you do enjoy it. I can think of far more disappointing things to hear from a child than that so I hope you manage to tell them easily. Good luck.How do I tell my parents something that will make them incredibly disappointed in me?
You might be surprised. When you tell them, let them know that you recognize and appreciate all they have done to support you. Tell them honestly why you believe you did not make the team. Tell them, if you intend to try next year, what you will do to improve.





Also, examine your own thoughts. If winning is so important that you feel anxiety and ';play poorly under pressure';, are you learning the most important lessons? Learning any skill is partly about winning. It is also about understanding the concept of practice, of learning to analyze what went wrong when you do not perform well, about doing your personal best and accepting that as a win, whatever the scoreboard says. It is about learning how to win and how to lose. So try to look at other types of lessons you may be learning. Tell your parents about them too. They will appreciate them more than ANY won-lost record.
You sound very dedicated and grateful for what your parents have done for. Good for you, that's something you don't see as often as you should these days.


If your parents have a similar level of respect for you that you show for them, then just being honest with them would be the best approach.





My only concern would be if they are trying to live out their dreams through you (maybe they dream at night of you winning wimbleton and paying for their retirement?). If not, be confident, your parents will stick with you NO MATTER WHAT.
Wait until you are actually cut. In the greater scheme of things this is not bad. I had to tell my dad I was pregnant just before leaving for college, when he was paying my tuition. Worst day of my life.


Just tell them you are sorry and you did your best.
If you don't make the school team, so what? There are probably amateur leagues in your town. Play in one of those, or just play for fun! Try out for the team again next year.
Tell them just like you told us...make it clear that there are others on the team who are better than you, and you gave it your all! Not your fault if the school has to make cuts- but let them hear it from you first.
Tell them you have a girl friend....


Show your dad a picture of a girl.. said girl is a ******* babe. He will say NICE GET DUDE.


Tell your mom shes incredably relgious and doesnt want sex.


GOOD GET SON!11
Well if they cant see that you have given everything you got.. Then shame on them.. Parents these days push and push there kids to be the greats in everything.. But one thing they need to understand that always winning or being number 1, is not always going to happen.. We parents need to love our kids for who they are not what they can or can not do.. From a parent to you, who cares if you were cut you gave it your best.. That's all that matters... Good luck Kiddo

No comments:

Post a Comment