Friday, November 25, 2011

How do I convince my parents that getting a horse would be good for me?

Horses are my life.Before I go to more shows I want to train my own horse.How do I convince my parents to buy me one?How do I convince my parents that getting a horse would be good for me?
Get a job and be prepared to finance the horse yourself. Your parents have enough commitments already. You always wreck the first horse you train so be content to ride those provided for you until you are old enough to finance your wants yourself. I am not being mean, just realistic.How do I convince my parents that getting a horse would be good for me?
Is this goign to be your first horse? If so, don't buy an unbroke horses! You will hate it and it will turn you off horses because you won't be able to ride very good compared to someone who bought a broke horse.

Report Abuse



Dont buy an unbroke horse.getting a horse is not all it cracks up to be..:(

Report Abuse



Well.... I have a horse! its amazing... he/she will keep you out of trouble! if you get involved in showing your horse and training your horse... you will more than likely not have time to do things that will get you in trouble!! LOL jus try it!
Your first horse should be an older horse, not a young foal that your going to train as your first horse. You need experiance before you do that, and Im meaning years of it. Ive been around horses for 17 years, been riding for 9 and have been owning my very own horse for 2 years now. I would recommend leasing your own horse first, it will give you that expericance when it comes to owning your own horse. Like everybody else has said, horses are VERY expensive, and they are not like dogs. They are needing constant patience and attention. My horses hay costs $800 a year for the amount we get. So consider the expenses and how much time your wanting to spend with the horse. Talk to your parents first about spending time with the horses, show that you are responsible and talk to them about leasing a horse first, they will be more likley to say yes, and once you prove to them that you can take care of a horse, they will be more willing about you owning one. Goodluck!
First, don't be discouraged by ANYONES negativity. This market is great for people in your situation. People have no time and no money to get their horses trained or even ridden. Ask around, go to barns, find a person that has a green horse that is willing to let you work with their horse and show them. Finding a green horse with a good attitude is best because you dont have to convince the parents to fork out the money to buy one, you show them your responsible enough to take care of it, and you get to use it whenever you want. MAKE SURE that you get a lease agreement and lay out that you want to use it for shows and whatever else you need or want it for. Make sure you ride the horse a few times and assess its personality so that you are a good fit for each other. All that said do not accept anyones negativity that you cant do it! I did it.
I am the same way, I want my parents to buy me a horse too!! You have to remember that horses are very expensive, so if you can't afford it, then that is something you can't contorol. Just like with anything, you need to research a lot and sit them down when they aren't distracted and doing anything important. Make sure that they are in a good mood, and present your case. Make sure that you have answers for all of their questions, like ';Where would you board it?'; and such. Also, be open to compromise! Like ';I'll pay for half of it'; if you have a job or ';If I get an 80 average in school can we talk again?';. Good Luck, and I hope you convince them!
Here's a link to a recent posting about horse ownership and young people. It details several of the benefits for families.





You may want to show this to your parents! Good luck!
fresh air, exercise, responsibility, amusement!!!!!!!!!!!
Offer to get a part time job to help pay for some of the expenses. Horses have always been my life and just now at 27 I'm back in lessons doing it all on my own. My parents couldn't even afford my lessons anymore when I was younger so I've had to wait until I went to college, moved out and started my career. Now, I can follow my horse dreams.
have you try telling that you swear you'll take care of it yourself and everything?
The best way to convince them is to find out why it is they are resistant to getting you a horse in the first place. Until you know why they might NOT do it you can't really know the best way to change their mind.





If it is money, there isn't much you can do aside from start trying to earn and save money of your own.





However, if it is because they might think you are going through a phase and will lose interest or that you won't take the responsibility seriously you can start really showing them how serious you are about and how responsible you can be. Take the initiative around the house to help out your folks, find someone local with horses to help out. Keep your grades up. Find ways to raise money. Keep a positive attitude and don't try to guilt them into it.





As a person who was a horse crazy kid I begged and pleaded for a horse but my parents just didn't ';get it';. They couldn;t understand what it was like to want something so bad it actually hurt. But they also couldn't really afford it, so no matter how much they might have wanted for me to have a horse it was still impossible. BUT I tried all of the above mentioned things and by the time I was grown up and out on my own I had tons of horse experience, was able to get a job working with horses, and I had already learned how to manage my money and take care of my own animals. It sucked having to wait until I was grown to have my dreams come true but in the end it was worth it.





Good luck, I hope they come around and you find your dream horse. I'm a mom now myself and it warms my heart when my daughter spends time with me and the horses.
Same way with me. I have been wanting a horse for a very long time i just haven't bothered my parents much because i knew my family can not afford one. There is so much to think about when you buy a horse like farrier, training, vet, board, feed, and many more things. I have been riding for practially my whole life now and my parents knew that i am a very good rider i won many championships and other things, and now they stared looking at horses for me. I never asked but when they know the time is right they will. I am now looking at a horse for sale and i am really hoping i get to buy her. Good luck getting a horse!!! I know it is very tough. Well hope my answer helps!!!!
It's only good to get one if you've had tons of lessons and experience. Seriously. It's a lot of effort. You also have to get a farrier every month, have a trainer or vet inspect the horse carefully before you buy it, halters, saddles, bridles, water, feed, bedding, medical expenses, boarding fees if you don't have property, and shelter if you do. It adds up and it adds up fast. A good alternative is leasing a horse. But I know it's not the same.





Best thing to do would be to show your parents your serious and ready. Try looking up some horse whispering books (very very important!) Like Pat Parelli to name one. And save a lot of money, get a job if you can.
the same way with me.....my parents won't let me get a horse.....i ask family members that have horses way before rodeo time if i can start riding....then they most likely will ask you if you want to show with their horse.....my cousins kid is 2 and can't ride yet. my cousin has had some bad injurys with horses and can't ride in long periods of time because of her back so it is the perfect oppertunity for me.....Hope I helped!!!!
i'm very familiar with your question, lol. i've wanted a horse forever, but our family doesn't have enough money to buy/maintain one. anywho you can point out that keeping a horse is willing to take a huge responsibility because horses need a lot of care. you could also point out that youre really passionate about this, and you want to have the opportunity to train your own horse before you dont have time to, or you get too old to or whatnot, and that you want to take the chance now and not regret not training a horse when you were younger when you get older


if that didnt make sense, please let me know
well it's a big responablity and you hae to be there 24/7 and ask yourself if you're wlling to give up a lot and do you have the expreince to tain a horse. But i feel the same way but you know that you can always lease and work your way up to owning a horse ( like me!) but even if you don't get that you should be happy at lease you get to be around horses. horsebackriding is a expense sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment